Thursday, February 11, 2010

365/42 Shooting From the Hip/5

On ILP, I basically already mentioned that under normal circumstances, I would not consider this a keeper, because I wouldn't compose this way on purpose. I was impressed with the way my camera decided to render these colors, and I accidentally almost hit the Rule of Thirds here, which actually enforces the fact that he's looking up at something. If I had done a 6x6 crop, I could have enforced the Rule of Thirds perfectly and, sure, I could have played with the colors more, but I liked the way it was :) Plus this is pretty much as much "from the hip" as it's going to get.

Exposure was perfect here. I did cheat by metering off my hand prior to shooting a random few photos of him, but hey, I wanted to ensure I had control of one of the most important variables in good photography and the theme wasn't "purposefully expose wrong" or "set your camera to P and matrix metering" :P


Lens and camera settings:
50mm f/2.0 @ f/2.0, 1/80sec and ISO 200.

Boris

4 comments:

  1. Love this one. It's the lighting, pov and the contrast between the cat's hair and eyes that really draw my attention. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It helps that he's black :P He contrasts with almost anything.

    ReplyDelete