Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Backlight

As part of the 365, I took the following photo. I consider the theme to be a real challenge, seeing as I have never in my life shot a successful backlit photo. I just simply never considered playing with fire, really.

Guess what? If you have a decent reflector (such as the front wall of my house), backlight isn't all that hard! In fact, some of the most beautiful portraits are backlit. Well, here it is.

Alexis Backlight

This photo also made me realize, again, that I'm very spoiled by my 50mm ƒ/2.0. That lens is so sharp, it makes most other optics look soft. I shot the above photo with my 14-54mm zoom, and it's really just not that sharp. It's not a focus issue, it just can't compete with what was not too long ago considered the sharpest lens for DSLR cameras ever produced. It's really a non-issue though, you can't see the differences in print, and it doesn't bother me. Plus, because the 50mm is a macro lens, it's really slow at focusing.

This 365 week should be interesting, I hope it stays sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment