Sunday, April 4, 2010

365/94 Capturing Motion/1

A water drop macro today! I realize some of you might recognize this stuff from my flickr, but I say that this one is by far the best one yet! I'm going to build a water drop rig, so I can have my drops land in a predictable spot, rather than just guesstimating when and where it lands and pressing the shutter for good luck.


Lens and camera settings:
50mm f/2.0 @ f/8.0, 1/250 sec and ISO 400. OCF at 1/8th power camera right, WB @ 5400K


Water Drop 2nd Gen


I used f/8.0 for more depth of field, which was necessary to capture the drop and the crater, and it helps grabbing focus as well. I had a sandwich bag with a tiny hole in it suspended over a loaf pan with water in both, a drip was falling about every 1 to 2 seconds. After I had the focus set (using manual focus, of course), I just watched the drops fall for a second and started pressing the shutter just after the water had left the bag. My reaction speed leaves something to be desired, I missed quite a few shots! Of course I don't need to mention that the whole deal was shot using a tripod. You can't really do these hand-held.

No comments:

Post a Comment